Our investment process is designed to protect and enhance the interests of our members, so they can achieve the best possible retirement outcome.
Asset allocation is one way AustralianSuper looks to outperform and increase member savings over the long term.
AustralianSuper sets annual strategic asset allocations for each investment option in June each year. Within each option expected ranges for our levels of investment in each asset class are also set. We also review each option’s investment objectives and risk tolerances to ensure they remain appropriate.
Rather than strictly rebalancing to strategic asset allocations during the year, AustralianSuper dynamically manages assets within the tolerance ranges for each investment option. This dynamic asset allocation enables our investment team to respond to changes in the market environment and respond to both risks and opportunities.
Check the strategic asset allocation of our investment choices.
We work with highly qualified teams and specialists to ensure we have the right checks and balances in place when making investment decisions.
Our investment committee is delegated by the Board to oversee and monitor our investment processes and guidelines. It plays a crucial role in the investment governance for members by.
- endorsing the strategic asset allocation and ranges for each investment option;
- monitoring the performance, investment objectives and risk and liquidity constraints of each investment option;
- approving investment guidelines, asset class strategies and large direct investments; and
- making recommendations to the Board.
Internal and external investment teams
We use a mix of in-house and external fund managers to manage members’ super.
Our in-house teams of investment specialists work within asset classes to:
- research the economic environment and investment markets and make recommendations on and manage the asset allocation for our PreMixed investment options;
- identify opportunities and risks;
- actively manage investment portfolios with the delegated authority from the Board and Investment Committee
We engage specialist external managers to invest money in different asset classes. They’re chosen based on their:
- company size, strength, management structure and ownership;
- investment philosophy, processes and style;
- investment team reputation and experience; and
- track record and funds under management.
Asset consultants provide strategic advice and research to our investment team on asset allocation, strategy, sectors within each asset class and investment managers. They work with the Investment Committee and the internal team.
How we manage currency - pdf, 98KB