If you’re experiencing severe financial hardship, you might be able to access your super early. You can apply for one payment up to $10,000 in a 12-month period, regardless of your age.
To be eligible, you need to:
- have received Commonwealth income support payments for a continuous period of at least 26 weeks
- be receiving these payments when you make your application and;
- be unable to meet reasonable and immediate family living expenses
If you’ve reached your preservation age plus 39 weeks, you can apply for a payment of any amount if:
- you’ve received Commonwealth income support payments since reaching your preservation age
- you’re unemployed or employed for less than ten hours a week when you make your application
We generally decide whether you’re eligible to access your super early on severe financial hardship grounds. Please note that you’re not eligible to apply if you’re a temporary resident in Australia.