The Government co-contribution

If you earn less than $50,454 per year, the Government may add to the contributions you make from your after-tax pay. This is called a co-contribution.

* including assessable income, fringe benefits and reportable super contributions.

You may be eligible for a co-contribution if you:

  • Earn less than $50,454* (2015/16) per year (including assessable income, fringe benefits and reportable super contributions)
  • Make an after-tax contribution in the current financial year (salary sacrifice contributions are made before-tax and don’t count towards the co-contribution)
  • Earn 10% or more of your income from eligible employment, running a business, or both
  • Are a permanent resident aged under 71 at the end of the financial year in which you make a payment
  • Lodge a tax return for the previous financial year.

How much will I get?

How much you’ll receive depends on your income. For every dollar you contribute from your after-tax income, the Government will put in 50 cents, up to a maximum of $500. Use our contributions adviser calculator or the table below: 

Your total income* Co-contribution available  Your contribution
 $35,454 or less $500  $1,000
 $41,454 $300  $1,000
 $47,454 $100  $1,000
 $50,454 or more $0  

How is the Government co-contribution paid?

If you're eligible, the Government will pay the co-contribution directly into your super account after you've put in your tax return for the financial year in which you made the contribution.

For example, if you add to your super before 30 June 2016, you'll receive your Government co-contribution after you've lodged your 2015/16 tax return.

To add to your super from your take-home pay

  1. Log into your account and go to the Make a contribution page. Select the 'Extra contribution' button. This will open the Contribution form.
  2. In Step 2 of the form tick the box for after-tax contributions that matches the type of contribution you’d like to make (BPAY, direct debit or regular deduction from your pay) 
  3. Complete the form and follow the instructions provided.

* Assessable income, plus reportable employer super contributions, plus reportable fringe benefits for the 2015/16 financial year.

Email this page to a friend

Max 2000 characters

Back to top

Do you qualify for the Government Co-contribution?

$ Before tax

What difference would a little extra make over a 20 year period?