3. Providing financial advice members can trust
the year to 30 June 2021 almost 20,000 members contacted the Fund for help and
advice. This was an increase of approximately 19% on the previous year,
reflecting the continued demand caused by the pandemic.
these members more than 7200 received a personalised Statement of Advice
helping them towards their financial goals with over 5400 receiving written
general advice guides on retirement options, account consolidation and super
FIND OUT MORE: FINANCIAL ADVICE FOR MEMBERS
AustralianSuper members can access a range of member education services – from online interactive webinars through to workplace education. Find a webinar today
4. Insurance which delivers and provides members
with peace of mind
provides most members with basic insurance cover with their super account. This
cover provides a basic level of protection if you die or become ill or injured.
AustralianSuper’s insurer TAL has among the highest claim admittance rates, the
quickest approval times and the lowest dispute rates in the industry for the
year to December 2020, based on the ASIC Moneysmart claims comparison tool.
year, the Fund assisted 2,881 members in lodging claims with return to work
support (income protection).
makes no profit from providing insurance to members. This is one of the most
cost-effective ways for members to access the benefits of insurance.
READ MORE: INSURANCE COVER THROUGH YOUR SUPER
Investing your super in Australia to deliver strong returns
investment team have worked hard over FY 21 to bring the management of
Australian assets in-house. We have over $53 billion of members’ super invested
in Australian companies and equities.
During FY21 we completed bringing in-house the
management of our Australian equities’ portfolio. We now have over $53 billion
invested in Australian companies. Since the start of COVID-19, we’ve actively
engaged with our Australian portfolio companies to understand how they are
navigating the impacts of the pandemic on their businesses and support them as
they manage these impacts and prepare their businesses for future growth.
the pandemic we’ve supported more than 50 ASX-listed companies by investing
over $1 billion in their capital raisings. We also continued to support
emerging Australian companies by expanding our micro-cap portfolio.
READ MORE: INVESTING TO GROW YOUR SUPER AND THE AUSTRALIAN ECONOMY
A focus on the future
In October 2021 the Fund farewelled chief
executive Ian Silk following 15 years at the helm and welcomed Paul Schroder to
lead the next period of global expansion. Mr Schroder said the
Board’s decision to appoint him as Chief Executive was a great honour and one
that brought great responsibility but also huge opportunity.
‘Serving members and helping build their
retirement balances is central to our purpose and ingrained in our culture. I
look forward to working with my colleagues and key stakeholders to continue to
deliver on that vision,’ says Paul.
AustralianSuper is Australia’s largest
super fund, with over 2.3 million members. We're focused on delivering on our purpose to help members achieve
their best financial position in retirement.
The Fund is focused on its next
phase, to move towards being a profit-for-member $500 billion superannuation
fund in the next 5 years, that uses the scale of the organisation to benefit
AUSTRALIANSUPER ANNUAL REPORT 2021
1. AustralianSuper data: 1987 – 2021 returns. Returns from equivalent investment options of the ARF and STA super funds are used in calculating returns for periods that begin before 1 July 2006.
2. Based on the AustralianSuper Balanced investment option compared to the SuperRatings Fund Crediting Rate Survey — SR50 Balanced (60–76) Index, periods to 31 July 2021. Returns from equivalent investment options of the ARF and STA super funds are used in calculating returns for periods that begin before 1 July 2006. Investment returns are not guaranteed. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns.
3. A+ Overarching Approach to Responsible Investment Strategy and Governance and Listed Equity-Active Ownership. UN Principles of Responsible Investing 2020.